Law remains one of those fields where you're allowed to use Bing or Google Translate, or Microsoft's auto-translation tools in Outlook and Word, but only for personal understanding of a document. Courts and attorneys still tend to be picky about documents submitted as evidence, whether contracts, affidavits, or exhibits.
We offer several levels of translation service for your requirements.
- The first, straight translation, has no footnotes, no details regarding nuances of language. This choice does indeed undergo in-house proofreading, included in our rate. We also include your original as part of the translation.
- Annotated translation provides you with a deeper understanding of the document. For example, if a legal document refers to Entlastung, the context of the document governs the translation. In context of employment termination, it means simple discharge. In context of dismissal of a Managing Director, it means that the MD is discharged and his or her actions for the previous fiscal year are approved [he or she no longer bears responsibility for those actions]. However, if it is a financial-legal document, it could mean only budget discharge. Notes: This annotated translation is also reviewed by an external translator with specialty in the field. We also include your original as part of the translation.
- Finally, our third option is both reviewed by an external translator with specialty in the field, as well as by a qualified paralegal. This option is not cheap, but if it helps you win your case, we believe the additional cost is worth it. Note: We also include your original as part of the translation.
Note regarding Lists: As stated in "fine print" at bottom of this page, our prices assume 450 words per page of original document. Any document with more than 550 words on a page will be charged as additional half-page or full-page, depending on length. Additionally, pages that are nothing but lists have a 50% surcharge, unless well under 250 words. Lists have no context and therefore require far more time to translate.
Note regarding your original: If it is necessary to have the original document certified as to its authenticity, we will require your law firm to handle that aspect of the translation.
Note regarding our translators: You can and will find cheaper translations. If you ask to speak to the translator, you'll likely find yourself talking to someone in the Philippines, Russia, China, or other low-wage countries. We work hard to provide you with translators who live and work in these United States.
To learn more about our translation services, including languages we offer, click here.
Type: (see above for more detail)
- Straight translation, no footnotes, as-is
- Annotated translation, explaining nuances of document being translated
- Double external review, annotated
- Lists - Must be ordered separately. Please contact us for quote.
- Interpreting, consecutive or simultaneous - please contact us for a quote.
- German to English - done in-house, available with fastest turnaround and payment online
- For all other languages, please contact us for a quote
Turnaround, German to English only:
- Normal: 5 - 7 business days for documents up to ten pages, +2 business days per additional five pages
- Fast: 3 - 5 business days for documents up to ten pages, +1 business days per additional five pages. +20%
- Expedited: 2 - 3 business days for documents up to ten pages, +1 business days per additional five pages. +50%
- Certification is free with all translations.
Price is per page. Special pricing below only valid through 12/31/2021. Note that if you prepay to get special pricing, translation can be done when you have document in hand. We put all prepaid funds into a trust account and do not spend it until earned!
Translations assume 450 words per page in original language. If word count exceeds 550 words, that page will be invoiced as 1-1/2 or 2 pages, depending on length. Additionally, pages of lists must be invoiced separately, unless fewer than 250 words.
All orders include two printed copies plus one digital copy. Additional printed copies available upon request for additional charge, depending on length of document.